Roberta King Latham
I am the founder of King Latham Law, PLLC, practicing in civil litigation, wrongful death litigation, business law, estate planning, workers' compensation, and employment law.
- Best Lawyers in America 2021 – Employment Law
- Martindale-Hubbell Rating “AV”
- Super Lawyers (2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021)
- Super Lawyers, Rising Stars, Civil Litigation Defense (2011, 2012, 2013)
- Everyday Award Recipient, Winston-Salem Ambassadors, 2019
- Fellow, Litigation Counsel of America.
- Business North Carolina Legal Elite, Young Guns (2011, 2012)
- 2016 Outstanding Women in Business honoree, Triad Business Journal.
- Women Extraordinaire Recipient, Business Leader Media (2010)
- America’s Most Honored Professionals (2011, 2015)
- Charles F. Blanchard Outstanding Young Lawyer Award, NCBA YLD (2007-2008)
- Board of Directors of the Northwest North Carolina Affiliate of Susan G. Komen
- President (2016-2017)
- Vice-President (2014-2016)
- Board Development Chair (2014-2016)
- Public Policy/Advocacy Chair (2013-2015; 2017-2018)
- Volunteer of the Month, May 2015
- North Carolina Bar Association
- Board of Governors (2018–2021)
- Executive Committee (2019-2021)
- Co-chair of Young Lawyers’ Leadership Academy (2014-present)
- North Carolina Bar Association/North Carolina State Bar Liaison Committee Co-Chair (2019)
- Chair of Young Lawyers Division (2010-2011)
- Young Lawyers Division Fellows, President (2018-2019)
- North Carolina Bar Association Foundation
- Board of Directors
- Executive Committee (2019-2020)
- CLE Committee
- Chair (2016–2018)
- Vice-Chair (2014-2016)
- Strategic Planning Subcommittee Chair (2014-2016)
- Marketing Subcommittee Chair (2012-2014)
- Board of Directors (2010-2011)
- Endowment Committee (2009-2010)
- Board of Directors
- North Carolina State Bar
- Courthouse Access – Committee Advisory Member (2019)
- North Carolina Association of Defense Attorneys
- Board of Directors (2011-2014)
- Young Lawyers Committee Chair (2009-2010)
- Chair of Women Litigator’s Committee (2013-2014)
- American Bar Association Young Lawyers Division
- Touch 10,000 State Coordinator (2010-2011)
- District 9, North Carolina Representative (2008-2009)
- Forsyth County Bar Association:
- Executive Committee (2019-2020)
- Young Lawyers Division
- Executive Committee (2005-2008)
- Treasurer (2006-2007)
- Forsyth Country Day School Parents’ Association Representative for Pre–K (“Scholars”) (2017–2018)
- Women’s Resource Center of Greensboro – Legal Hotline Volunteer (2016-present)
- Wake Forest University School of Law Litigation Clinic Supervising Attorney (2008-present)
- Elon University School of Law Extern Site Supervisor (Fall 2016)
- Women’s Fund of Winston-Salem, part of the Winston-Salem Foundation (2014-Present)
- United Way of Forsyth County
- Young Leaders United (2011-2015)
- Community Impact Council (2006-2008)
Presentations and Publications
- “Employment Law – Overview, Avoiding Common Mistakes & Best Practices,” February 6, 2021, February CLE, Legal Support Staff of Winston-Salem.
- “Ethical Considerations When Taking the Deposition of an Expert Witness,” August 23, 2019, North Carolina Association of Defense Attorneys.
- “Ethical Dilemma – Keeping Your Head Above Water,” panel participant, International Association of Rehabilitation Professionals of the Carolinas Educational Conference, Greensboro, March 15, 2019. https://rehabpro.org/events/EventDetails.aspx?id=1146205&group=
- “Legal Landmines Facing Small Business Owners,” Fearless Winston-Salem, September 18, 2018.
- “The Nitty Gritty of Depositions, Part 1,” The Nitty Gritty of Discovery, Annual Trial Skills CLE presented by the North Carolina Association of Defense Attorneys Young Lawyers Committee, August 26, 2016.
- “Documenting Discipline and Performance Issues: Legal Perspective,” Addiction Recovery Care Association, Inc., March 8, 2016.
- “Ethical Considerations Regarding Expert Witnesses,” part of Mastering the Expert Witness Deposition CLE for the North Carolina Association of Defense Attorneys, August 1, 2013.
- 2-hour continuing education program for nurses, “Legal Aspects to the Faith Community Preparation Course” for the Congregational Nurse and Health Ministry Program approved by the International Parish Nurse Resource Center, October 21, 2010, October 20, 2011, October 18, 2012, October 16, 2013, October 22, 2014, March 15, 2016 and March 7, 2017.
- Moderator at the North Carolina Bar Association’s New Admittee Professionalism Program, a mandatory Continuing Legal Education program for newly admitted North Carolina attorneys, on September 22, 2011, at the Benton Convention Center in Winston-Salem.
- Instructor at “Medicine and Law 101 – A Medical Legal Liability Seminar for Health Care Providers”: May 30, 2009, March 25, 2011, April 12, 2013, and May 15, 2015, Wake Forest University Baptist School of Medicine.
- A Survey of Rule 11 in North Carolina, Judge W. Erwin Spainhour (Cabarrus County Senior Resident Superior Court Judge) and Roberta King Latham (Bennett & Guthrie, PLLC), 28th Annual Meeting of the North Carolina Association of Defense Attorneys (June 2005).
- Forsyth Woman Magazine, “The Last Word”, September, 2014, https://www.forsythwoman.com/the-last-word-with-roberta-king-latham/.
- Keynote speaker at Wake Forest University Panhellenic Council Fashion Show, October 28, 2013 and October 28, 2014, regarding breast cancer.
- Forsyth Woman Magazine, Women on the Move, May, 2012.
Other Memberships and Activities
- Fourth Circuit Judicial Conference (Permanent Member)
- North Carolina Bar Association – Young Lawyer Initiatives Task Force (2010-2012); Board of Governors Nominating Committee (2012)
- North Carolina Bar Association Young Lawyers Division – Immediate Past Chair and Chair of Nominating Committee (2011-2012); Chair-Elect (2009-2010); Chair of Disaster Legal Services Committee (2008-2009); Division Director, (2007-2008); Chair of Poverty Issues Committee (2006-2007); Poverty Issues Committee (2005-2006); Nominating Committee (2012)
- North Carolina Association of Defense Attorneys – Young Lawyers Committee, Vice Chair (2008-2009); Executive Committee (2004-2007)
- Joseph Branch Inn of Court (2008-2010)
- North Carolina Consumers Council
- Litigation/Trial Practice
- Business Law
- Personal Injury
- Employment Issues
- Workers Compensation
- Wrongful Death Litigation
- Estate Planning
- Wake Forest University (B.A., cum laude, 1997)
- Pi Sigma Alpha
- Golden Key
- Wake Forest University School of Law (J.D., 2002)
- Member, Wake Forest Law Review
- Member, Wake Forest Moot Court Board (Evan A. Evans Constitutional Law Moot Court Team)
- Recipient, CALI Excellence for the Future Award in Legal Research and Writing
- All North Carolina State and Federal Courts
- United States Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit